Did Jesus' Disciples or Apostles Have an "Unfair Advantage" Compared to Us?

For the longest time, I used to feel jealous of Jesus' apostles or disciples, such as Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  I felt that they were given a rather "unfair advantage" by actually meeting Jesus in real life, compared to those such as us who live in the current day and age.

I used to think "If only I was the fisherman Mark, I could have met Jesus first-hand! Instead I have to deal with the lack of Jesus here on the planet.  This is such an unfair disadvantage!"

Today, I found out that actually, we do are not disadvantaged at all nowadays, compared to those who had met Jesus.  My thinking before that was so wrong on so many different levels, as I found out today.

1. If I lived in that day and age, I probably would have been blind enough not to recognize Jesus for who he was anyway.  Honestly, I probably would have thought similarly to the Pharisees, as much as I'd like to think I wouldn't.  Thankfully, I am spared that mistake now that we have the hindsight of living in the future. Even in best case scenario, I can't say that I'd be sure of recognizing Jesus in the flesh.  Indeed, these days most of us miss seeing God's handiwork in our lives anyway, and if that is the case, how could I expect myself to recognize Jesus for who he was in the flesh, when I don't always recognize His messengers?

2. When people met Jesus in the flesh, He had not yet died and risen, so the apostles and disciples had not yet understood the full significance of what Jesus had done for us.  We, on the other hand, are taught early on in our spiritual journey exactly what Jesus has done for us. So we benefit from knowing this information straight away. We are really not disadvantaged!

3. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: Humanity was not left without any guidance after Jesus left.  He sent the Holy Spirit to us! Wow.

Instead of saying "Woe is me, I never got to meet Jesus in real life!" I should instead be thankful that Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit to live within us. The Holy Spirit  is just as much God as God himself is, and as Jesus is.  Therefore we are by no means disadvantaged compared to the Disciples or Apostles!

Furthermore, instead of sending this Holy Spirit to live among us (which would still have been amazing), the Holy Spirit was sent to live within us. This is an even more amazing thing.

Here is a verse about the promise of the Holy Spirit (Jesus is speaking):

“If you love me, you will obey my commandments. I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, who will stay with you forever. He is the Spirit, who reveals the truth about God. The world cannot receive him, because it cannot see him or know him. But you know him, because he remains with you and is in you.
John 14:15-17


Here is a verse about the day the Holy Spirit came to live within humans. This was after the ascension of Jesus into heaven:

Suddenly there was a noise from the sky which sounded like a strong wind blowing, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then they saw what looked like tongues of fire which spread out and touched each person there. They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to talk in other languages, as the Spirit enabled them to speak.
Acts 2 2:2-4

Peter makes it clear that when we repent and accept Jesus Christ, we will receive the Holy Spirit, God's gift to us:

Peter said to them, “Each one of you must turn away from your sins and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, so that your sins will be forgiven; and you will receive God's gift, the Holy Spirit. For God's promise was made to you and your children, and to all who are far away—all whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”
Acts 2 2:38-39

We are being very ungrateful indeed if we spend time being jealous of the fisherman Mark, as I was, because then we are totally ignoring the help we do have: that of the Holy Spirit.

If you found this post interesting, you might also like these related posts on this blog:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Organized religion and why it is important

Why Do Atheists Shout So Loudly When They Believe the Stakes are Lower?

Jesus saves EVERYONE who accepts him. Salvation is available for ALL HUMANS