Beware of knee-jerk reactions for they are the enemy of wisdom

Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, counseled against knee-jerk reactions. Reacting without thinking is not a wise way to live. Here are his sayings on that:

Do not be quick to anger,
for anger lodges in the bosom of fools.

Do not say, ‘Why were the former days better than these?’
For it is not from wisdom that you ask this.

Ecclesiastes 7: 9-10 

This reminds me to pray, think, and read the Bible when any issue crops up. I'm not good at it - I still get angry quickly when I know that is not the best way. But I am trying, at least. I realize that knee-jerk reactions are literally the enemy of wisdom, as Solomon said. Mental shortcuts like that remove the opportunity to seek God in the middle of this problem. I find it helps me to think "everything is more nuanced than you think it is at first glance", and we do need God's guidance for that.

God is the fount of wisdom, so our number one priority should be to seek Him and His solutions, not to give a knee-jerk reaction.

If you found this post interesting, you may also like these related posts:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Do Atheists Shout So Loudly When They Believe the Stakes are Lower?

Organized religion and why it is important

Jesus saves EVERYONE who accepts him. Salvation is available for ALL HUMANS