A Bible verse that is incredibly powerful

I came across a Bible verse that to me was very powerful. I read it three times because I was so struck by it:

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
    call upon him while he is near;
let the wicked forsake their way,
    and the unrighteous their thoughts;
let them return to the Lord, that he may have mercy on them,
    and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.


Isaiah 55: 6-7


This verse is immediately followed by what to me was a much more familiar verse:


For my thoughts are not your thoughts,

    nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Isaiah 55: 8-9


Verses 6 and 7 in the first passage spoke to me so much. This was because the importance of seeking the Lord now (and not delaying) is something which is much more frequently found in the New Testament. Yet this piece was from the Old Testament. Calling upon the Lord while He is still near is important. This is because one day, Jesus will come again and  there will not be the choice to seek Him any more - He will be there.



God wants us to come to Him out of choice, not by being forced to know Him whether we want to or not.


If you found this post interesting, you might also like these related posts on this blog:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Do Atheists Shout So Loudly When They Believe the Stakes are Lower?

Organized religion and why it is important

Jesus saves EVERYONE who accepts him. Salvation is available for ALL HUMANS