Psalm 23 - very much for the living, not the dying

Psalm 23 is a well-known psalm that is often quoted for giving comfort to those who are dying. Here it is:

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
my whole life long.

Psalm 23

This psalm was written by King David at the time when he was beset by many enemies. He did not write this to comfort him in case he died. Instead he wrote this psalm as a prayer for guidance during difficult military campaigns. In other words, this psalm is very much for the living, not the dying. It's not to say that you cannot use it for the dying, but that was not its original use.

This is a psalm that can apply to anyone in a difficult situation during life. We should pray it more often. It is not something that we should reserve only for death and dying. 

Indeed, seeking the guidance of God is something that should be done at all times in life, not just at the end!

Why is this psalm so often used for the dying then? Possibly because similar to how it offers hope and guidance for the living, it also offers hope and guidance for the dying. Yet while it can still be used for end of life, we should not make the mistake of reserving Psalm 23 primarily for end of life situations. King David who wrote this psalm meant it for guidance during military campaigns - it was never written as a deathbed prayer. This psalm is very much for the living.

If you found this post interesting, you may also like these related posts:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Do Atheists Shout So Loudly When They Believe the Stakes are Lower?

Organized religion and why it is important

Jesus saves EVERYONE who accepts him. Salvation is available for ALL HUMANS